Please welcome our lovely friend, Marian from Sweetopia today for Cupcake Monday! She is sharing a delicious recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes. Peanut Butter + Chocolate is my favorite flavor combination, so I am so excited to try out this recipe! Yum!
Happy Monday! If anything will make a Monday good, or better, it's these chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. Rich, delicious, chocolate cupcakes topped with a cloud of peanut butter frosting. Sigh. Heavenly! I loved serving them on a rustic cake tier at a family gathering.
Combined with glasses of milk and mini Reese's treats, they were a hit with the kids and adults alike. I'm not afraid to admit that I dug into the icing first with this adorable mini chevron spoon from The TomKat Studio's shop.
If you'd like to make them too, I've shared the recipe below.
Happy Baking! xo, Marian
Recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 12-15 cupcakes
Adapted from Ina Garten’s recipe
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peanut Butter Frosting, recipe follows
- Reese’s pieces or Reese's mini peanut butter cups as an optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place liners in cupcake pan.
- Cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. (In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment is ideal, but a hand mixer can be used as well).
- Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it's completely blended.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake pans (about ¾ of the way for each cupcake). Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting. Garnish with Reese chocolates if you like.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup confectioners' or icing sugar
- 1 cup (creamy) peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 35% cream
- Mix the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt together. (In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment is ideal, but a hand mixer can be used). Mix on medium-low speed until creamy.
- Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
Chevron spoons, cupcake wrappers + striped straws are available in The TomKat Studio Shop!