One of the best decisions I made for our new kitchen was incorporating open shelving! I have never had open shelves in the kitchen before, but it is a trend I was so ready to get on board with! Now my husband on the other hand, wasn’t so sure about it. He was worried we wouldn’t have enough upper cabinet storage space, but he trusted my decision. I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out! We have plenty of storage throughout our kitchen, and the shelves provide such a decorative focal point in the space.
Here are a few kitchens that inspired me to go with the open shelving! Prepare for gorgeousness…
Now you want opening shelving, right? I thought so.
Here’s how ours came together… (press play)
A few tips for styling open shelves:
- Find pieces you love and want to see everyday on your shelves.
- Purchase extra items and return what you don’t use.
- Vary the sizes and shapes of the items you choose.
- Stacked books are always a good idea and help add varying height when needed.
- Framed art is great for filling up blank space.
- Use basic white plates, bowls and glasses for filler.
- Always mix in plants, flowers or greenery to add texture.
- Rearrange. Rearrange again.
- Keep rearranging until you’re happy.
- Stand back and admire your work. 🙂
What do you think? If you were remodeling your kitchen, would you add open shelves?
Design/Styling | Kim Stoegbauer, The TomKat Studio
Photography | Rennai Hoefer
Cabinetry/Shelves | MasterBrand Cabinets
Black & White Canister | Round Potted Succulent | Plant in Black/Wood Pot | Bon Appetit Sign | Schoolhouse Clock | Celebrate Book | Camille Styles Entertaining | Geo Canisters | White Cake Stand | Glass Cake Dome | Wood Cake Stand