Fact: I am a chocoholic. Shocking confession? Probably not. Still, nothing is more appealing to me than a great looking chocolate anything – especially if it has some sort of cake involved. Enter these amazing cupcakes from the Faux Martha, which we’ve been lucky enough to be given permission to share with you today. Try not to lick the screen, guys! – xo, Maddy
- 1 1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 3/4 c. extra-fine granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 c. 60% bittersweet chocolate pistoles
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Make cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350º. Set rack in the middle of the oven.
- Set out ingredients and equipment. Sift flour. Measure dry ingredients into separate mixing bowl. Add flour and whisk together. Measure liquid ingredients into a separate bowl and set aside. Place butter and sugar in bowl of standing mixer. Crack eggs into a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on the lowest speed for 3-5 minutes. (This will feel odd, but keep it on low.)
- With the mixer still on the lowest speed, add the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture alternately with the liquid mixture in 3 to 5 additions each, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Move swiftly through this step to avoid overworking the batter. Don’t wait for the dry or liquid mixtures to be fully incorporated before adding the next. This should take a total of about 60 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl all the way down. Don’t miss the clumps of ingredients hiding on the bottom. Mix on medium speed for 15 to 20 seconds to develop the batter’s structure.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.Fill cupcake liners with batter using a 2-ounce trigger release ice-cream scoop.
- Bake for 22 minutes. When the skewer shows a touch of crumbs or comes out clean, the cupcakes is done.
- Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Allow to cool completely before assembling.
- Make Ganache. While cupcakes cool, prepare ganche.
- In a 2-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the cream to a light simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, measure the chocolate and place it in a heat resistant bowl.
- Once the cream reaches a light simmer, pour it over the chocolate. Wait about 10 seconds for the cream to work its way into all of the crevices of chocolate, then whisk to combine.
- Let the ganche cool for at least 20 minutes before using. It will begin to thicken.
- Make Italian Meringue Buttercream. Never made it before? Watch this video for all the tips and tricks.
- Cut a cone out of each cupcake as you would cut the stem out of a strawberry. Reserve the cake.
- Fill cupcakes with about 1 tablespoon of ganache. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to allow ganache to harden a bit.
- Place the leftover cake back in each cupcake.
- Use a 2-ounce trigger release ice-cream scoop to ice each cupcake. Fill scoop completely and release.
- To garnish, sprinkle with shaved dark chocolate.
- Refrigerate cupcakes. Serve at room temperature. Eat and be merry!