THIS CINCO DE MAYO POST IS SPONSORED BY GARDEN FRESH GOURMET
Living in Arizona, Cinco de Mayo is always a big celebration! What’s not to love? Delicious Mexican food, margaritas, music and enjoying time with friends. Sounds like the perfect gathering to me! We are so excited to be partnering with Garden Fresh Gourmet to create the perfect menu to inspire you to host a Cinco de Mayo celebration! With a wide variety of Garden Fresh Gourmet chips and salsa flavors, it’s easy please everyone. Read on for all of our tips for creating a festive gathering featuring a salsa bar along with ideas and recipes to complete the party!
Tip #1: Cinco de Mayo is the perfect celebration to host outside on the patio! Decorate your space with colorful pillows, linens and decor. Use your natural landscape surroundings or add some modern potted succulents and cacti to add a festive touch to space. Create a comfortable area where your guests will want to sit and stay awhile!
Tip #2: Get your friends excited for the celebration by sending out this darling invitation a couple weeks in advance! Download our free printable Cinco de Mayo invitation
Tip #3: Create a salsa bar! Let your guests try various flavors and pick their favorites. We featured 6 of our favorite varieties of Garden Fresh Gourmet refrigerated salsa and they are all delicious. The Mango salsa is my favorite, but I also love Jack’s Special (mild). Garden Fresh Gourmet salsas combine recognizable ingredients like tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice and cilantro to create unique, fresh tasting salsas – similar to what you’d make in your own kitchen but without all the work! To easily create your salsa bar, simply pull them out of the fridge and place them in pretty bowls! See all salsa flavors here
Tip #4: Be sure to print our salsa labels so your guests know what flavors they can choose from. Download our free printable salsa & food labels here
Tip #5: Don’t forget the importance of tortilla chips! When it comes to chips and salsa, delicious chips are just as important as the salsa! Garden Fresh Gourmet tortilla chips are crafted using whole corn, ground in volcanic stone (not stainless steel) resulting in an irresistible crunch and authentic flavor. For your Cinco de Mayo celebration, offer a few varieties for your guests to try! From traditional chips to tortillas strips and flavored varieties, they are delicious! See all varieties of tortilla chips here
Tip #6: While we could probably all enjoy chips and salsa as a full meal, it’s probably a good idea to offer your guests additional finger foods or an entrée at the party! These mini cheese chimichangas are a perfect choice. They’re easy to make and are delicious topped with a drizzle of sour cream and Garden Fresh Gourmet Mango salsa!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place a piece of oaxaca cheese on the long edge of a tortilla half. sprinkle lightly with cumin and roll into a small burrito. Skewer with a toothpick to secure while baking, and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the tortilla halves are used. Brush the mini chimichangas with melted butter. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the mini chimichangas with sour cream, Garden Fresh Gourmet Mango Salsa, cilantro and lime.
Tip #7: Another Cinco de Mayo celebration must-have? Margaritas! We created a fresh take on a traditional margarita with this Prickly Pear Margarita recipe. Not only is it delicious and refreshing, but the pop of pink goes perfectly with this colorful fiesta!
- Add the lime juice, prickly pear syrup, tequila and orange liqueur to a shaker. Put on the top and shake well for approximately 30 seconds.
- Use the reserved lime to coat the edges of a margarita glass with juice. Coat the outside of the rim with salt. Fill the glass completely with ice and pour in the margarita.
- Garnish with a lime and jalapeño slice that’s been skewered. Serve.
Tip #8: Don’t forget dessert! These Churro Cream Puffs are absolutely amazing and the perfect end to delicious meal. We bet you can’t eat just one!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Make the dough: Bring the butter and water to a rolling boil in sauce pot. Add the salt and flour. Stir quickly with a wooden spoon until a ball forms. Transfer to a stand mixer and use the beater attachment to pulse a few times to cool slightly. On a low speed, add one egg at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Use a teaspoon to dollop heaping mounds onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Make the filling: In a stand mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. Then mix in the powdered sugar a cup at a time until thoroughly combined. Scrape the bowl as needed with a spatula to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated fully. Transfer to a pastry/icing bag and set aside.
- Assemble: Use a serrated knife to slice each puff shell in half. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and coat in cinnamon sugar. Fill the bottom shells with filling and sandwich together with the coated tops. Serve.
Ready to host your own Cinco de Mayo Fiesta?
Garden Fresh Gourmet salsas are sold in the refrigerated deli section at select grocery stores nationwide! Garden Fresh Gourmet was born in a small restaurant in Ferndale, Michigan with a simple idea: make products so good, people won’t be able to stop eating them. (and we sure can’t!)
For more information about Garden Fresh Gourmet, America’s #1 Refrigerated Salsa brand, please visit: Garden Fresh Gourmet
Design/Styling | Kim Stoegbauer, The TomKat Studio
Styling Assistant | Madie Richardson, The TomKat Studio
Photography | Rennai Hoefer, Ten22 Studio
Food Styling/Recipes | Joanna Meyer, Baked by Joanna